Sunday, August 22, 2010

Negotiation 101

Basics of Negotiation:

1) Ask for the most that you want and more
2) Decide if the most you can get is enough
3) Agree to terms or walk away

Examples:

When negotiating your salary at a new job:

1) You want $60K a year
2) You ask for $75K a year
3) They offer at $50K plus a generous benefits package

When with a girl:

1) You want sex
2) You ask her back to your place
3) She gives you her number instead
4) You propose a date Friday instead of taking a number
5) She agrees
6) You take number

How not to negotiate:

1) Ask for less than what you want
2) Hope and pray you can get more

Examples:

When negotiating your salary at a new job:

1) You want $60k a year
2) You ask for $40K a year
3) They say okay
4) You missed out on $50K a year plus benefits

When with a girl:

1) You want sex
2) You ask for her number
3) She says okay
4) You have number but no date
5) She's clueless about your intentions

Of course, going for a number and escalating later is a viable option with women.

But that's called escalating, not negotiating. As a man, you must learn both. As a woman too.

1 comment:

  1. Two points on my timeline come to mind.

    I used to be a busser at TGI Friday's and would always negotiate my end of the night tips with the wait staff. "Oh yeah, remember me doing this. Blah, blah, blah.." Looking back, I realize I really enjoyed trying to make them feel guilty for only giving me so much tip money. Cha ching!

    When I was in Arizona for a couple years, I worked again at the local emergency room doing admissions work. I remember my boss, one year, calling me into her office and she went over my yearly performance review. Each negative point on her list, she let me verbally respond if I thought it fair or not. A couple of my low scoring areas I openly admitted my short comings, but others, I argued how I actually deserved more credit.

    At the end she raised my assessment score and told me that I had actually worked my score up to where I'd be getting a yearly increase. Double cha ching!

    ReplyDelete