Sunday, January 2, 2011

So You're The Quiet Type

In keeping with my shorter posts rule, here's another short one.

You're not much of a talker. What do you do to keep the conversation going?

Listen.

That's it. Actually listen. Don't think of what to say. Don't think of how to relate or reward that. Just listen. It's also okay to let yourself show you are listening.

When you actually listen to someone, you keep eye contact and respond with things like "yeah," "cool," and "uh huh." It might raise other questions in your mind. You might think of a funny joke. By actually listening, you free yourself to reacting honestly, even if it's with a simple "schwing!"

On the other hand, if you pretend to listen or try to look like you're listening, you're gonna stare a hole into her head.

If she's at all interested, this works even when she's not saying anything. Just shut up and listen.

1 comment:

  1. One of the best first dates I ever had was when me and a girl met for a walk in the park. Best. Idea. Ever. Why? Because me and the girl were both the quiet type.

    Personally, I love parks. The seriously stunning and sweet girl I was with could care less about parks, but went along with the idea anyway.

    The beauty of having date in the park is you're not making eye contact the whole time. Of course, we'd naturally turn to each other and make eye contact every now and then. But my point is there was no pressure on either of us to carry a conversation. I really enjoyed how things didn't feel forced. Sometimes I'd be carrying more of the conversation and at other times she would.

    I'll add that as we walked, our shoulders would gently brush together every now and then. That we didn't flinch when that would happen said more about how "on" it was between us than our level of conversation did.

    ReplyDelete